Harrison:The Uncertainty of Knowledge
After reading this article i had many mixed feelings and didn’t necessarily believe everything in the article. This article really made me think in more depth about the key points they are trying to get across. Some beliefs were pin pointed perfectly but some were definitely not in the right context. One think that really stuck out was the line ” In our, lectures, conversations and pronouncements over the dining table we tell one
another that life would be much better if only people were more educated, had more faith
in religion, devoted greater effort to the cure of diseases, supported more vigorously
social reform, dieted, exercised more, flossed their teeth and voted for this or that
political party.” This really stuck out because this is what we all want to achieve and have been taught to do since little kids. I believe every one of these would make our lives better except having more faith in religion. I also found the line when he said the world is always changing, how everything is always changing, thus transforming our knowledge. I found this interesting because it is completely 100 percent accurate. As our world changes, so does technology, leading us to further our knowledge resulting in a universal change. while reading this article, i learned a lot more about beliefs and gained more knowledge.
Climate Change “Doubt” Video
After watching this video, it really made my think about false information that we are being fed by the government and our peers. It makes my think that maybe some of the things i do or eat right now are going to end up being extremely bad for us. This video made me think about how the smokers feel when told it was bad for them after smoking for many years. IT made me think about the lies of propaganda.
One false claim!!
One false claim that i can think of off the top of my head is that peanut butter gets gum out of your hair. This is definitely false because i have experienced in first hand. My mom said that the peanut butter would get the gum out of my hair so we tried and the outcome was just a clump of peanut butter in my hair and the gum still stuck. This claim made my furious as i was getting the peanut butter out of my hair.
While doing my film i had many issues along the way in terms of the technology and the video format i would use. The first thing i did to start the film was brainstorming my beliefs. While doing this i came up with around 40 beliefs but for my film i only used the ones i really felt passionate about. The second step i did was figuring out what video format i should use. I first thought of writing my beliefs in the sand at the beach but suddenly had a change of mind. I decided that i wanted to write in a notebook with all my beliefs in big font. I thought this would be a great idea because its simple but still gets my point across. After i had my beliefs and knew what i was going to do, i grabbed the camera and a notebook. I got my mother to write down my beliefs as i recorded her writing them down, I then edited the video clip, fast forwarding and slowing clips at certain parts. I added music by my brother Marsden and i was finished. If i could do this again, i think i would have drawn pictures by my beliefs to make it more visually appealing and to help get my message across. All in all i think i did a good job and i am happy with my ending result.
1. Do you think we should respect the beliefs of a racist or sexist person? I do not believe we should respect the beliefs of racist or sexist people because they are only going off what they believe in, not what the whole community believes in. Those people are going to pick sides because of their racist and sexist perception that they are bad. I believe you can respect someones belief when they look at the whole picture and not segregating because of differences.
2. Find some examples of beliefs (modern or throughout History) that you think are both misguided and dangerous.
– bees only sting you when you bother them
– peanut butter gets gum out of your hair
– don’t judge a book by its cover.
3. i watched the blog video “IS THERE A REAL YOU? WHAT MAKES YOU YOU?“. I found it interesting that he said that we are all connected but at the same time are all unique in our own way. He says how knowledge shapes physically and mentally. I found this video extremely interesting and it really made me think harder on individuality.
For this tok assignment, i read an article called “my fathers evening star”. While reading this assignment, i gained the knowledge that William o’ Douglas believes in faith, he believes in faith in god. This essay was about how his father who had surgery which ended up being fatal. Douglas said his father was happy either way because faith will bring him in the correct direction and that he trusts god. later on in the reading he asks America to change to become simpler. all in all the article is how Douglas believes in gods trust and faith.